Discover Madison: Our City & Its Attractions
Situated between Lakes Mendota and Monona, Madison is one of only two major American cities built on an isthmus (we’ll give you an extra pillow at check-in if you can tell us the other city). The Livingston Inn has access to Lake Mendota, the larger of the two lakes, where many guests choose to spend the whole day, or the evening, on the water. An adjacent park offers a bike trail and walking path along the lakeshore, and patrons may wish to continue on, along the shore, through the downtown area, on to the UW-Madison campus, and the iconic Memorial Union—for the Dairy State’s very own Babcock Ice Cream.
For dining and nightlife, the Inn is conveniently situated, with many of the city’s top dining establishments and trendy new foodie hangouts just steps away from our front door. From brew pubs, comedy clubs, one of a kind shops, and a fabulous array of dining options on Madison’s beloved State Street, to the hip dining spots on the wonderfully eclectic Willy Street, guests will find a variety of options for day and night.
Year-round activities and events in Madison are numerous. Some options include:
- UW Badger athletics at Camp Randall and the Kohl Center
- Live theater and music events
- A variety of museums
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Concerts on the Square
- Madison’s world-famous Farmer’s Market
- The Annual Art Fair on the Square
- Conventions, conferences, street and neighborhood fairs
- State Street shopping and nightlife
- Syttende Mai, Iron Man, Paddle & Portage, and other notable race traditions
- Canoeing, kayaking, biking, ice skating
- Boat tours and dinner cruises
- CrossFit Games
To discover current events during your stay, check out our Madison events calendar page.